Re: sqrt

Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:03:26 +0100 (MET)

I wrote:
>We have a problem with sqrt on Alpha Linux.

Joachim replied:
>Ehmmm, if last bit accuracy is your problem [...]

Well actually, no it isn't *my* problem in particular.

If somebody has a program running slowly because of sqrt's and they
realise what the problem is and they know about libffm or some other
replacement, then they can speed up that program if they feel that the
effort is worthwhile.

But if we replace the libm sqrt() with one that is ten times faster,
then all programs that use sqrt's will go faster for everybody,
transparently. This is desireable, IMO!

Rob.