dselect taking ages to install

Loic Prylli (Loic.Prylli@ens-lyon.fr)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:06:59 +0100 (MET)

Robin Stephenson writes:
> When I have picked out a couple of packages in dselect to install
> (over NFS from a local mirror) it takes ages to complete: it seems to
> be scanning every available package rather than going to the ones that
> need installing. The messages are `Skipping deselected package foo.'
> and `Version bar of foo already installed, skipping.'. Is there a way
> to configure this to not happen?

Use apt-get instead of dselect, it is a _very_ nice tool, I highly
recommend it. You just need to know the name of the package you want to
install (for instance: apt-get install imagemagick). You can also
install manually a .deb with "dpkg -i file.deb"

> Also, a while ago I mentioned the <sc 208(...... stuff: Paul Slootman
> (IIRC) said that it was debugging information. How can I turn this
> debugging output off? -- it's less than enlightening, and I'm wearing
> out my control-L key.

You can pick the new kernels on the new rescue disks at
http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/debian.html, the message should not
appear anymore.

Loic